Virtual Journey - Bank to Waterloo
Leg 11 - London, Bank to Waterloo using OpenBVE
OpenBVE is used for the next leg of the journey, a short trip from Bank to Waterloo on the Waterloo & City Line
Map of the Route
Waterloo & City Line
The Waterloo & City line is a short, underground railway line in central London, England. Part of the London Underground rapid transit network, it operates as a shuttle service between Waterloo and Bank stations with no intermediate stops. Its primary traffic consists of commuters from south-western England arriving at Waterloo mainline station to the City of London, and for this reason the line does not normally operate on Sundays or public holidays.
The line was built by the Waterloo & City Railway Company and opened for service on 11 July 1898 (at the time, Bank station was named "City").When it opened it was the second electric tube railway in London, after the City and South London Railway (now part of the Northern line). For much of its existence, it was owned and operated by two mainline rail companies, before it was nationalised into British Rail. Operations were transferred to London Underground in 1994 following a major refurbishment and replacement of rolling stock.
The Waterloo & City line is by far the shortest line on the entire London Underground network, with a line length of 2.37 km (1.47 miles),and an end-to-end journey lasting just four minutes. In absolute terms, it is the least used line on the network, carrying just over 15 million passengers annually. However, in terms of the average number of journeys per mile, it is the second most intensively-used line, behind only the Victoria line.
Waterloo is a London Underground station located within the Waterloo station complex that incorporates both the tube station and the main line railway station. It is the busiest station in Great Britain.With 99 million, 202 thousand passenger entries and exits in 2014-2015., and it is served by four lines: the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern and Waterloo & City lines.
The station is situated in fare zone 1 and is located near the South Bank of the River Thames, in the London Borough of Lambeth. It's within walking distance to the London Eye.
The first Underground Line at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed "The Drain", achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London.
On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) was opened. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City & South London Railway station Kennington with a new station at Waterloo.
As a subsidiary of the L&SWR and its successor, the Southern Railway, the W&CR was not a part of the London Underground system. Following nationalisation of the main line railway companies in 1948, it became part of British Railways (later British Rail).
In March 1965, a British Rail and London Transport joint planning committee published "A Railway Plan for London" that included a recommendation to revive a plan from the 1900s for an extension of the Piccadilly line's Aldwych branch to Waterloo. London Transport had already sought parliamentary approval to construct tunnels from Aldwych to Waterloo in November 1964, and in August 1965, parliamentary powers were granted. Detailed planning took place, although public spending cuts led to postponement of the scheme in 1967 before tenders were invited.
Following a period of closure during 1993 when the Waterloo & City line was converted to use the four rail electrical system of the London Underground, the ownership of the line was transferred to the Underground on 1 April 1994. Due to an Easter shut-down, the first Underground service on the line was on 5 April 1994.
On 24 September 1999, the Jubilee line station was opened as part of the Jubilee Line Extension.The station was temporarily the western terminus of the extension running from Stratford in east London, before the final section to link the extension to the original line was opened between Waterloo and Green Park on 20 November 1999. The Jubilee line platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre (460 ft) moving walkway link (one of only two on the Underground; the other gives access to the Waterloo & City line platform at Bank station).
Bank Station, London
Bank and Monument are interlinked London Underground and Docklands Light Railway stations that form a public transport complex spanning the length of King William Street in the City of London. Bank station, named after the Bank of England, opened in 1900 at Bank junction and is served by the Central, Northern and Waterloo and City lines, and the Docklands Light Railway. Monument station, named after the Monument to the Great Fire of London, opened in 1884 and is served by the District and Circle lines. The stations have been linked as an interchange since 1933.The station complex is the one of the busiest on the London Underground network and is in fare zone 1.
The Bank–Monument station complex was created by building links between several nearby stations constructed by different companies. The first station was opened by the Metropolitan Inner Circle Completion Railway.
Addon Route Used
Video of The Journey
Screenshots of the journey from Bank to Waterloo